Editor’s note: This Automobile Seat Examine was penned in December 2021 about the 2021 Volvo XC40 Recharge small of substance has improved with this year’s model. See what’s new for 2022 or verify out a side-by-facet comparison of the two design a long time.
The verdict: Volvo’s first all-electric car or truck is speedy and successful, but the XC40 Recharge’s backseat does not impress. Difficulties with the compact SUV’s decrease Latch anchors and set head restraints complicated automobile seat installation in our Vehicle Seat Verify.
Does it in good shape a few car or truck seats? No.
Take a look at how the Latch method and just about every motor vehicle seat scored beneath in our Motor vehicle Seat Look at of the 2022 Volvo XC40 Recharge.
Connected: Research Motor vehicle Seat Checks
- Latch: The two sets of reduce anchors sit underneath plastic flaps. They need to be simple to use, but every single anchor sits deep in just the hole exposed by the flap. The anchors are also pressed up in opposition to the upholstery, complicating accessibility — in particular with our toddler seat’s chunky connectors. Connecting to the anchors is a battle, and you genuinely want to shove the connector deep and difficult to attach. A few top tether anchors sit on the seatback. The outboard types are midway down and plainly marked, but the middle anchor sits at the base of the seatback and is not evidently marked.
- Infant seat: Connecting to the reduce anchors demanded a little bit of muscle mass for the reason that Volvo leaves nominal area to maneuver our motor vehicle seat’s chunky connectors in the deep Latch holes, and the anchors them selves are mashed from the seating upholstery. Entrance-passenger legroom was just Okay for our 5-foot 6-inch entrance passenger. With the seat installed behind, there was only a tiny total of place involving her knees and the glove box.
- Rear-experiencing convertible: This car or truck seat makes use of skinny, hooklike connectors, so it was a little bit a lot easier to accessibility the reduce anchors, however it continue to needed some muscle. We had the very same front-passenger legroom difficulties as with the infant seat.
- Ahead-going through convertible: Yet again, the XC40’s reduce-anchor setup hampered installation. The SUV’s set head restraint did not interfere with our ahead-going through convertible seat with its adjustable backrest set to the cheapest height, but it will probably interfere if the again wants to be raised to accommodate a taller little one. The set head restraint did complicate the leading-tether link, even so. The automobile owner’s manual claims to defer to the car or truck seat handbook for how to route the strap for the major tether anchor. Our Graco owner’s manual displays it must go around the head restraint then join to the anchor. This is problematic, as the XC40 Recharge owner’s guide also suggests to “Never route a top rated tether strap in excess of the leading of the head restraint. The strap ought to be routed beneath the head restraint.” Since the convertible strap’s tightening mechanism is far too chunky to suit below the head restraint, we adopted the car seat owner’s guide and routed it above the head restraint. The inconsistency amid the manuals is frustrating.
- Booster: The outboard head restraints aren’t removable (the center a single is). They fold down but normally are not adjustable, and they force the again of the booster off the seatback. It must be flush. There is a sizable gap concerning the booster’s back and the seatback, so we downgraded this group two grades. The booster really should be installed in the center seat if doable, as that head restraint can be simply taken off. The buckles are on quick but stable stalks. They stick up just enough so kids should really be equipped to use them independently.
A: A good deal of place for the automobile seat and the kid does not impression driver or front-passenger legroom. Easy to come across and link to Latch and tether anchors. No healthy troubles involving head restraint or seat contouring. Straightforward entry to the 3rd row.
B: 1 home, in good shape or connection concern. Some difficulties accessing the third row when readily available.
C: Marginal area as well as one in shape or relationship challenge. Complicated to accessibility the third row when obtainable.
D: Inadequate home, additionally many in shape or link difficulties.
F: Does not in shape or is unsafe.
About Autos.com’s Auto Seat Checks
Editors Jennifer Geiger and Jennifer Newman are certified boy or girl basic safety seat set up specialists.
For the Auto Seat Verify, we use a Chicco KeyFit 30 infant-protection seat, a Graco Contender 65 convertible seat and Graco TurboBooster seat. The entrance seats are altered for a 6-foot driver and a shorter passenger. The 3 child seats are installed in the next row. The booster seat sits powering the driver’s seat, and the toddler and convertible seats are set up guiding the front passenger seat.
We also put in the ahead-facing convertible in the 2nd row’s center seat with the booster and toddler seat in the outboard seats to see if three vehicle seats will healthy a baby sitting down in the booster seat have to be capable to access the seat belt buckle. If there is a third row, we set up the booster seat and a ahead-facing convertible. Study a lot more about how we perform our Car or truck Seat Checks.
Moms and dads need to also recall that they can use the Latch method or a seat belt to set up a motor vehicle seat, and that Latch anchors have a excess weight restrict of 65 kilos, like the fat of the boy or girl and the pounds of the seat alone.
Vehicles.com’s Editorial division is your source for automotive news and testimonials. In line with Autos.com’s extensive-standing ethics plan, editors and reviewers really don’t acknowledge items or no cost outings from automakers. The Editorial office is impartial of Autos.com’s marketing, product sales and sponsored articles departments.